Mr. ’94 vs Mr. ’11

Here is a freestyle Poem *ahem* (clearing throat)

I love sports,

I love hockey,

I love Canucks,

I love video,

I love me,

Here is me making a video of Canucks who are my favorite hockey team in a beloved sport of mine.

But for real,

The Vancouver Canucks visited the Stanley Cup Finals in 1994 and in 2011, ending with the same result. However, both journeys to the finals were memorable in there own ways leaving us with one question, which journey was MORE memorable?

Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts!

An online website thought it was cool enough to make their website too!

http://604now.com/2013/10/04/video-canucks-mr-94-vs-mr-11-debate/

6 thoughts on “Mr. ’94 vs Mr. ’11”

1. This is amazing. How did you splice the two images together? I originally wanted to use youshow to hone and describe my video editing process.

I am very just started with premier.

What I love most about the video is your parallel structure in the timeline.

1. Thank you thank you for the kind words haha. I used final cut pro x and you have to layer the images and then you just custom size one of them.. If you are doing it outside becareful of the lighting. I had to shoot this quick because the sun was going down fast haha. Heres a youtube video that may help you out with whatever you use to edit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGdvbpBIEx4

2. Wow. Very cool, love what you did. Professional and entertaining all at once. I thought it was a commercial at first, and didn’t get the gist until re-watching and reading the comments. I’m not familiar at all with making video/film & editing. But am I inspired now. Thanks so much for sharing.

1. Thanks Sheila! It was so much fun to write and create this. If you do have imovie or any editing tool you should give it a try!… This is me challenging you haha!

1. Thanks, Tim, but I’m still at the stage of trying to figure out photo usage and attribution (still have yet to watch Alan’s incredible looking Unit 2 video), and how to create seamless links in my blogs, lol. Total dignewbie here. Can’t wait to see what you do next.

3. I agree with Greg, this is really well done.

And I hope Tim, as part of the YouShow way of doing things, that when you share work like this as a post, you add this helpful bit, and the tutorial on making this work in Final Cut Pro (And it’s making me think its time to get back to FCP). Premiere may have something like this, or perhaps a alpha layer tool that lets you black out parts of the top layer video. You might be able to do it cheaply with 2 clips in iMovie with their 2 track capability.

But I would say what works is the scripting here, and the quick cuts that Tim does (notice the different camera angles, the side shots), so it’s not all just a straight on shot of the talking pair.

Time what might help to explain is even a diagram showing your camera placement, and maybe a screenshot of your edits in FCP, these are things I ask my ds106 students of showing the back stage insight into their work.

But what I like most is how smoothly this is done, and its giving me ideas of wanting to try this. This post is definitely going up on the YouShow highlight reels.